Mangalore acts as the hub for visiting various important places of pilgrimage.
Mangalore is itself a temple town & from among the numerous temples that dot the city,the following temples can be visited within Mangalore.
Shree Venkatramana Temple
Kudroli Sri Gokarnatheshwara Temple
The temple is located at Kudroli, Mangalore. This beautiful temple is the abode of Lord Gokarnatha, another name for Lord Shiva. This temple was built by a devotee, Shri H. Koragappa in the year 1912 according to the wishes of Shri Narayana Guru, the great saint and philosopher who had visited Mangalore in the year 1912.
Sri Mangaladevi Temple
The place name Mangalapura ( now Mangalore) owes its origin to the
Shri Sharavu Mahaganapathi Temple
Sri Sharavu Sharabeshwara - Sri Mahaganapathy Kshetra is an outstanding, pious center of great illustrious history of a marathon 800 years.
Kadri Manjunatha Temple
Other places of interest close to Mangalore at the distances indicated
are as follows:
Kollur Mookambika Temple - 135 kms
Kollur is one of the seven pilgrimage sites which were created by Parashurama. It is is situated at the banks of the never drying river Sauparnika. While the other pilgrimage sites created by Parashurama are devoted to Lord Shiva, Lord Subramanya and Lord Ganesha, this is the only one devoted to goddess Parvathi.
Kukke Subrahmanya Temple - 100 kms
Subrahmanya used to be called as Kukke Pattana in the past. In the 'Shankara Vijaya', Anandagiri observes that Adi Guru Sri Shankaracharya camped here for a few days during his religious expedition (Digvijaya). Shri Shankaracharya referred to this place as 'Bhaje Kukke Lingam' in his 'Subrahmanya Bhujangaprayata Stotram'. Sri Subrahmanya kshetra has been brilliantly described in the 'Thirthakshetra Mahimanipurana' chapter of the Sahyadrikhanda comprised in the Sanatkumara Samhita of Skanda Purana. This kshetra is situated in the banks of the river 'Dhara' which originates in the Kumara mountain and proceeds to the western sea.
Atma Linga Mahabaleshwar temple - Gokarna - 170 kms
Sringeri - 100 kms
Sringeri is situated on the left bank of the holy river Tunga. The region of Sringeri was once ruled by the Hoysala emperors .There are many shrines and temples in and around Sringeri. Adi Guru Sankaracharya constructed four temples for four deities as the protector of the Sree Sharada Peetha at Sringeri. They are Kalabhairava temple to the east,
Sankaracharya established the Advaita Mutt and the
Chandranatha Jain Basadi - Moddabidri - 34 kms
Moodabidri , sometimes described as the Jain Varanasi, has 18 Jain basadis, although jains themselves are a minority of the population. This place consists mainly of Digamber sect, has a large number of Jain Basadi's (temples). The most famous among them is the 1000 pillared Chandranatha Basadi popularly known as "Saaveerakambha Basadi". The uniqueness is that no two pillars are identical. . The temple has a valuable collection of metal, jewel carved images of Jain tirthankars. The columns in Moodabidri are extraordinary typical of the Chalukyan architecture. The 2 meter high panchaloha ( 5 metal) image of Chandranatha stands out among images. The Jain monastery near the main temple entrance, has a library with some beautiful 12th and 13th century palm leaf manuscripts. The 17th century .
Sri Manjunatheshwara Temple, Dharmasthala - 75 kms
Situated on the banks of river Nethravathi and surrounded by the lush green forests and hills of Malnad, Dharmasthala is known for it's beautiful surroundings and
Kateel Durga Parameshwari Temple - 30 kms
Situated on the banks of River Nandini, amidst beautiful surroundings, the temple located at Kateel is dedicated to Goddess Durga & is the spiritual energy center of
Udupi Sri Krishna Temple - 60 kms
Udupi is a divine shrine that was the sanctum of Sri Madhvacharya, the great Sanskrit Philosopher. The famous temple here has a fascinating idol of Lord Krishna that is richly adorned with jewels The reasons for its fame are the statue of Sri Krishna installed by the great saint Sri Madhvacharya and the penance and influence of Sri Vaadiraja Vathivarenya. Another attraction of this temple is the 'Kanakana Kindi' -a small window through which
Anegudde Temple - 100 kms
Anegudde means elephant (Aane) hillock (Gudde) and it is the abode of the elephant god, Sri Vinayaka. It is one of the seven places of pilgrimage in the region called 'Parashurama Srishti' which are believed to be created by sage Parashurama.
Shiva Temple, Murudeshwar - 150 kms
The sea surrounds on three sides the temple towering on the small hill called Kanduka Giri. A huge 15 metre statue of Shiva towers over the town and has an overwhelming presence. The statue, which is only a couple of years old, is in a complex which encompasses the 500-year-old Shiva temple. The temple is covered with Chalukya and Kadamba sculptures in the Dravidian style and is believed to be located on the spot where Ravana flung the cloth covering the Atmatlinga at Gorakana while lifting it. The temple has several other beautiful carvings and statues that date back to a few centuries. There is also a huge fort behind the temple said to have been renovated by Tipu sultan, the ruler of
Tala Kaveri, Mercara - 105 kms
‘Tala Cauvery’. the source of the river Cauvery, which is the lifeline of Tamil Nadu, is situated on a hillock. There is a tiny tank which is believed to be the source of the Cauvery. There is an idol of Cauvery Mata next to the tank. The Bagandeshwar temple at Bagamandala, near Tala Cauvery overlooks Karnataka’s ‘Triveni Sangamam’ the confluence of Kanaka, Cauvery and the mythical Sujothi.
Sri Devi Annapoorneshwari Kshetra, Hosanadu, Kodyadka - 40 kms
Ananda Ashram, Kanhangad - 69 kms
Ashram established by Papa Ramdas a devotee of Sri Ram. Presently Swami Sachidanandaji is the head of the Ashram. Chanting of “Sri Ram Jai Ram… continues round the clock at the Ashram
Direct arrangements may be made with local tour operators to organise visits to the above locations.
We could also assist in co-ordinating the visits if informed sufficiently in advance.